If you have constant jaw pain and headaches, your jaw joint, or TMJ, may be the underlying cause. Dr. Strait has received advanced postgraduate training in treating TMJ problems and head and neck pain from Temple University’s Kornberg School of Dentistry, the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, and the Las Vegas Institute. He is fully equipped to help relieve your pain with TMJ treatment in Wilton. You can:Doctor A. Vandiveer Strait on TMJ Disorder Read Transcript
At Wilton Dental Associates, if someone comes in with chronic jaw pain, if they have TMJ or they have even headaches, or they've they bad clicking or discomfort when they're chewing or eating, which is unfortunately more common than it should be, we have extensive technology and training to help you get rid of that problem and do the best we can to make sure it never comes back again.
I personally have specialty training in TMJ and neuromuscular dentistry, which with advanced courses at Las Vegas Institute, and a number of other institutes and universities around the country. We believe that treating this is not a matter of trying to get rid of your symptoms but actually going after the cause of the problem. In many cases the problem is actually your bite. And if we can, first of all, we would find out exactly what your bite wants using a technology called TENSing.
And once we have an actual proper position for your jaw, we actually can then help you to either correct it or wear a bite splint. Or there's a number of other options that can eliminate not only your symptoms but prevent the problem from coming back again. And we've done this successfully now for about 25 years. So if you come here, I think you'll get really good care.
- Gid rid of debilitating pain that disrupts your daily activities
- Eat comfortably without your jaw feeling tired or painful
- Stop waking up with chronic headaches
- Prevent permanent damage to your tooth enamel from grinding your teeth – a common side effect and cause of TMJ disorder
Get TMJ Relief With A Custom Oral Appliance
Dr. Strait has invested in the newest technology to diagnose and treat temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMD:
- The Myotronics J5 TENS machine is used to relax your TMJ muscles and relieve neuromuscular problems (nerves related to your TMJ muscles). It can also find your correct bite and jaw relationship. This can help us understand if your bite – the way your teeth come together – is contributing to your facial pain.
- We also use Myotronics K7 technology to painlessly diagnose TMJ and neuromuscular discomfort. With electrodes and sensors, we can import data about your facial muscles to our computer.
Both of these technologies give us the information we need to fabricate a custom TMJ mouthguard. This appliance will gently adjust your jaw into a position that relieves your discomfort.
See If You Suffer From These Common TMJ Signs
TMD, also known as temporomandibular joint disorder, and MPD (myofascial pain dysfunction) are known together as craniomandibular dysfunction, a neuromuscular disorder affecting the TMJ joints. These joints are located on each side of your head. They help you yawn, eat, speak, and chew by working with the muscles, ligaments, discs, and bones surrounding the joints.
TMJ disorder is characterized by the following symptoms, which can be alleviated with neuromuscular dentistry:
- Jaw pain
- Popping, clicking, and grinding sounds in the jaw
- Restricted jaw movement
- Teeth grinding
- Chronic migraines or headaches
- Unexplained ear aches
- Ringing in the ears
- Pain in your teeth, face, shoulders, and/or back
TMJ treatment in Wilton can change your life by allowing you to live without constant pain. Get started on this pain-free life today by calling 203-293-2086 for your consultation. You can also use our online form to request a visit.