If you follow these 5 basics you can achieve and maintain a healthy and youthful smile for a lifetime. You can be like 95% of our patients and NEVER get any new dental disease. You can be assured of this because we have been achieving this with our patients for over 30 years!
1. You need to have a microscopic culture, MC (taken to establish the presence, activity level, and prevalence of disease causing/ pathogenic bacteria) Your dental hygienist will take a small sample of your dental plaque (the sticky film you try to remove when you brush or floss) from along or under your gumline, and place it under a Phase microscope. The activity and type of bacteria can then be determined and the effectiveness of your oral hygiene home care will be evident.
2. Your dental hygienist will then review with you, your current home care/ oral hygiene regimen, effectiveness, and efficiency and help you as needed to ensure you are getting the best results for the effort you make.
3. Your dental hygienist, as needed, will also go over:
- Toothbrushing – Sonicaire, dentifrices, etc.
- Flossing- Especially how you can do this easily and quickly using the Floss-Aid or other devices.
- Water irrigation- Why you need this and how you can do it easily and effectively using a Water Pik or other device.
- Delivery of an Antibacterial- Therasol, etc.
4. Most importantly in the beginning you may be asked to return to the office in one to two weeks for a follow up microscopic culture to make sure you are getting great results and not spending time unnecessarily. Note that you should only have to spend about 5 minutes per day to totally keep your teeth healthy, although initially it may take significantly longer while you are learning. As needed you may receive additional oral hygiene instruction and you may be given a trouble shooting guide which will help you determine any corrections or improvements you may need to help you be more effective and efficient.
5. Lastly, it is very important that you stay on track with regular Preventative Oral Hygiene/ck-up/cleaning appointments every 6 months. For patients who were diagnosed with active periodontal disease this may be 3 months.
For more information about your dental health and about what has been covered in this article please read more of my articles; see our YouTube channel directly or via our website; or call our office - Wilton Dental Associates 203-761-0223.